Dried Fruit & Nut Crisps
Bake your own crackers! As simple as slice ‘n bake cookies but more wholesome. Packed with dried apricots, raisins, pistachios, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, and no added fat, these crackers are as easy as baking a quick bread then slicing and toasting. You can vary with different spices like cinnamon and allspice, or add black or white pepper to pep them up. They are yummy served with cheese, or snack on them plain. Let me know how your home-baked crackers venture turns out!
Recipe and photos by Rosie
Fried Fruit and Nut Crisps
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Sun-Maid Golden Raisins
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced Sun-Maid dried apricots
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pistachios or almonds
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp* salt
- 1/4 tsp each, ground nutmeg, allspice and black or white pepper
- 2 tbsp minced crystallized ginger
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 4.5x8.5 or 9x5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Combine all ingredients except milk in a large bowl. Mix well. Stir in milk. Batter will be thin, don't worry!
- Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired -- this fancys up the top edge of the crackers when they are sliced.
- Bake until golden brown and a pick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-45 minutes. Cool completely in pan. Run a knife around edge and remove from pan.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for at least 3 hours or overnight.When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350°F. Remove loaf from freezer and let stand 5-10 minutes.
- Slice into 1/8-inch slices, using a sturdy sharp knife. Arrange slices in a single layer on an ungreased or parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake until edges are golden brown, 12-16 minutes depending on cracker thickness. Watch carefully the last few minutes, removing any crackers that brown first. Cool on a wire rack.
- Store for 2-3 days in sealed plastic bag or for best crispness, store in a tin. If crackers soften, re-crisp in 300F° oven for 5-10 minutes. Cool.