No-Added-Sugar Raisin Date Apple Muffins
Muffins are ‘sweet’ for breakfast or snack. These fruit-sweetened muffins have no added sugar, thanks to raisins and dates blended into a puree, plus no added fat! The dried fruit puree plus diced apples add enough moisture to replace butter or oil, yet retain a light cake-y crumb perfect for a muffin.
I created these muffins for a Sun-Maid school foodservice recipe program. I’m glad I did! Now I keep them on-hand in the freezer for a quick-grab breakfast or snack.
The recipe is super simple, just a blender and a bowl, and a few minutes to stir together. Take a look, give it a try, and we’d love to have your comments 🙂
No Sugar Added Raisin Date Apple Muffins
- 1 cup Sun-Maid Golden Raisins, divided use 80 grams
- 1/2 cup Sun-Maid pitted dates(10 deglet noir) 80 grams
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour or 1/2 cup each all-purpose white and whole wheat
- 1/2 cup almond meal or almond flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shredded unpeeled apple
- HEAT oven to 375° F. Grease 12 (2 -inch) muffin cups, or coat with cooking spray. The muffins stick to papers, unless they are foil lined.
- WHIRL golden raisins, dates and hot water in a blender or food processor until fruit is evenly pureed. Add eggs and whirl just to blend.
- COMBINE flour, almond meal, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl. Stir with a whisk to blend. ADD raisin-date puree, raisins and apple to flour mixture; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- SPOON batter into prepared muffin cups.BAKE 16-17 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly to touched. Cool in pan 3 minutes. Remove muffins to wire rack to cool completely. Store airtight 2-3 days or freeze for longer storage.